Monday, August 30, 2010

Out of Africa...

Unfortunately, I have not updated much on this blog, often because I have to use the majority of my internet time just uploading photos (most have ended up on my facebook page). However, we have successfully completed our sampling and have returned to Dar es Salaam for our international flight tomorrow (will get to add Zurich, Switzerland to my list of cities!). The last week involved 3 days of sample collection from the lake bottom, in addition to echo sounding, and 1 day of sample collection from the nearby hills. We took a taxi to do this sampling, and ended up in fishing villages where very few Muzungus (originally meant to mean European people) visit. Many of the children were very surprised to see some Americans around and a curious bunch followed us for quite a long way. However, I scared them off when I took a photo of them - will have to post it. We got to spend Friday snorkeling in the lake, where I saw lots of beautiful fish and neat sand ripples/waves, and Saturday packing and going to the markets in Kigoma. I also got to go the bar/restaurant called the "Website" where you get to see the live chickens before you eat them. The restuarant workers thought it was funny I wanted to take a photograph.

We flew back to Dar es Salaam on Sunday (yesterday), where our taxi only broke down twice on the way to the airport - apparently beating on engine parts with a large rock will solve almost any mechanical issue.

See you soon,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment